Development and Marketing Departments,
The American Symphony Orchestra is accepting applications for internships with our Development and Marketing departments. If you are at least a third- year undergraduate or graduate student interested in applying, please read the following description, qualifications, and application procedure.
About us: In its Vanguard Series at Carnegie Hall, the American Symphony Orchestra performs unique and imaginative programs, connecting works to art, history, politics, and literature. In addition, the ASO performs in a lecture/concert series with audience interaction at Peter Norton Symphony Space called Classics Declassified. It is also the resident orchestra of the Richard B. Fisher Center for the Performing Arts at Bard College.
Why should I become an intern for the ASO? The American Symphony Orchestra is one of New York’s most dynamic orchestras, and working here will offer the unique opportunity to participate in the operations of our engaging marketing and development departments. At our small but professional office, interns will get to know the entire staff while they observe and participate in the day-to-day operations of a premier ensemble, learning all the while how large-scale performances come together. In this way, our internship offers a broad understanding of arts administration and production. In working closely with our marketing or development teams, interns will also acquire specific knowledge about these departments and the responsibilities therein. Interns can look forward to developing meaningful relationships with staff-members who can provide career advice and, if needed, references and recommendations for subsequent career opportunities.
Requirements: Candidate must be available to work at least 12 hours per week (schedule can be flexible), and be at least a third year undergraduate or graduate student; detail oriented, organized; possess excellent communication and writing skills; and have knowledge of Microsoft Office programs. Raiser’s Edge/Patron Edge or other database knowledge a plus. Interest in Classical Music, Performing Arts, or Arts Administration preferred.
Development Internship. Major responsibilities include:
- Maintain and update records of individual donors, foundations, corporations, and government agencies.
- Organize and assist with all appeals and mailings for special events, concert invitations, and Orchestra publications.
- Draft correspondence for communication with individual donors, foundations, corporations, and government agencies.
- Assist with preparation of materials for funding proposals.
- Assist in prospect research to identify individuals, foundations, and corporations in efforts to expand the donor base.
- Brainstorming with development team about donor benefits and prospects.
- Attend ASO Concerts and assist with VIP check-in.
- Additional tasks as needed.
Marketing Internship. Major responsibilities include:
- Managing and processing ticket-donation requests from charity organizations
- Assisting with our social networking
- Assisting with ticket and subscription mailings
- Editing artist bios
- Researching concert info for marketing materials
- Attend ASO concerts and assist with Q&As
- Additional tasks as needed
To apply: Please submit the following: a formal cover letter indicating your earliest date available and latest departure date, and resume to email@example.com or mail to American Symphony Orchestra, 263 West 38th Street, 10th Floor, New York, NY 10018. Fax: 212-868-9277. No phone calls please.